Communication (from Latin communnicare, meaning "to share") is the activity of conveying information through the exchange of thoughts, messages, or information, as by speech, visuals, signals, writing, or behavior. It is the meaningful exchange of information between two or a group of living creatures.
In an industrial context, "communication" refers to the exchange of information, ideas, and messages between individuals, organizations, or systems. The communication industry encompasses all aspects of communication technology and services, including telecommunications, media and entertainment, and information technology. Some examples of industries related to communication include:
- Telecommunications, including landline and mobile phone services
- Broadcasting and media, including television and radio
- Cable and satellite television
- Internet and web services, including social media and e-commerce
- Information technology and software development
- Advertising and marketing communication
- Printing and publishing.