Deutsch: Kopfhörer / Español: Auriculares - Auriculares / Português: Fones de ouvido - Fones de ouvido / Français: Casque audio - Casque audio / Italiano: Auricolari - Auricolari
Headphones are a pair of small loudspeakers that are designed to be held in place close to a user's ears. They are also known as earspeakers, earphones or, colloquially, cans. The alternate in-ear versions are known as earbuds or earphones.
In the industrial and business context, "headphones" refer to a type of audio device that is worn over the ears or in the ear canal and is used to listen to audio content from various sources. Here are some examples of the use of "headphones" in this context:
- Consumer electronics companies such as Bose, Sony, and Sennheiser manufacture and sell a variety of headphones for personal use.
- Call center workers may use headphones with built-in microphones to communicate with customers on the phone.
- Musicians and audio engineers may use headphones to monitor audio recordings and mixes.
- Professional gamers may use headphones with built-in microphones to communicate with teammates during gameplay.
Other similar terms used in the context of audio devices are:
- Over-ear headphones
- In-ear headphones
- Noise-cancelling headphones
- Wireless headphones
- Gaming headsets
- Studio monitors
All of these terms refer to different types of audio devices that are designed for specific purposes, whether for personal or professional use, and that differ in their design, features, and capabilities.