Deutsch: Abfall / Español: Basura / Português: Resíduo sólido / Français: Dêchet / Italiano: Rifiuti
Waste(s) is a pejorative term for unwanted materials. The term can be described as subjective and inaccurate because waste to one person is not waste to another.
In an industrial or industry context, "waste" refers to any material or substance that is discarded as a result of industrial processes, production, or consumption, and is no longer useful. Waste can include by-products, scraps, waste materials, as well as unused or expired products and packaging.
Examples of industrial waste:
- Manufacturing scraps and offcuts
- Used packaging materials (e.g. cardboard, plastic)
- Expired or damaged products
- Industrial by-products (e.g. ash from power plants, sludge from wastewater treatment)
- Chemical waste (e.g. solvents, pesticides)
- Construction and demolition waste (e.g. concrete, wood, drywall).
- Municipal solid waste (e.g. household trash, packaging)
- Industrial byproducts (e.g. sludge from wastewater treatment, ash from combustion)
- Agricultural waste (e.g. manure, crop residue)
- Medical waste (e.g. sharps, infectious waste)
- Mining waste (e.g. tailings, waste rock).