Health care or healthcare is the improvement of health via the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, amelioration, or cure of disease, illness, injury, and other physical and mental impairments in people. Health care is delivered by health professionals and allied health fields. Medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, midwifery, nursing, optometry, audiology, psychology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, athletic training, and other health professions are all part of health care.
In the industrial/industry context, healthcare typically refers to the production, distribution, and management of medical devices, equipment, and supplies, as well as pharmaceutical products and services related to healthcare.
Examples of healthcare products and services in the industrial context include:
- Medical equipment such as surgical instruments, imaging machines, patient monitoring systems, and hospital beds.
- Pharmaceutical products such as prescription drugs, vaccines, and over-the-counter medications.
- Medical supplies such as bandages, syringes, gloves, and gowns.
- Diagnostic products such as lab tests, imaging tests, and genetic tests.
- Healthcare IT systems such as electronic medical records, telemedicine platforms, and medical billing software.
- Healthcare services such as hospital management, home healthcare, and clinical research.
Similar terms in this context might include:
- Medical devices
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Pharmaceuticals and biotechnology
- Healthcare technology
- Clinical services
- Health services and facilities management.