Gearbox, also known as a gear case or gearhead pertains to a gear or a hydraulic system responsible for transmitting mechanical power from a prime mover (an engine or electric motor), into some form of useful output. It is referred to the metal casing in which a number of gears are sealed.
Gearbox functions as a housing or container for gear oil, a metal casing for protecting gears and lubricant from water, dust, and other contaminants. It is precisely bored to control gear and shaft alignment.
By application , gearbox plays a very important role, among the industries that use a gearbox are:
1. Aerospace - gearbox plays a critical role in distributing engine power to the rotors and is responsible for other power outputs in an airplane. Specialty gearbox is used in aircrafts and space shuttles etc. for high performance and torque capacity. It is used to transfer power from the main shaft of the engine to an oil-cooled generator for producing electrical power;
2. Agriculture - gearbox is used in many processes including tilling, seeding, ploughing, irrigation, pest and insect control etc. . It make use of a variety of specialized gears, pumps and engines for better farming technique. Agriculture vehicles like tractor also use different gearboxes;
3. Automotive - different types of gearboxes are being used for cars, bus, trucks , motorcycles, scooters. These gearboxes are used to convert the mechanical energy smoothly and noiselessly;
4. Cement industry - requires rugged and high-torque gearbox for multiplying an engine?s torque to produce the required output. Gearbox is being used in cement manufacturing and processing machines and equipments for continuous and smooth functioning;
5. Fertilizer manufacturing - required power-driven heavy and light industrial machines of high capacity. The machinery incorporates premium quality gearboxes along with other components for smooth and efficient working of machines;
6. Food processing - use of quality gearboxes and other components in compact design help to cut down lot of cost involved in maintenance and repair of the machine parts. The gearboxes are specifically designed to ensure low maintenance and wear & tear.
7. Marine industry - uses high performance marine gears and gearboxes in a variety of vessels including fast ferry boat s , luxury yatchs, frigates and work boats etc. These gear boxes are generally much more powerful and complicated than the non-marine counterparts;
8. Power industry is making use of high quality and high precision gears and gearboxes for use in the power generation equipment and machines. These gearboxes are available in variety of sizes and shapes with high torque capacity and powerful performance for use in powerful machines.
Other industries that utilized gearboxes are: mining, pulp and paper, steel plant, sugar plant, waste recycling and management plant, and wind turbines.
There are wide varieties of gearbox and some of the main types are: Sequential Gearbox, Helical Gearbox, Shaft mounted Gearbox, Planetary Gearbox, Worm Gearbox
Worm Reduction Gearbox, and Bevel Gearbox
Other Database Pages Exist for this Phrase:
Accessory gearbox (Accessory gearbox has something to do with a ...)
Gear (Gear is a mechanical device that transmits power ...)
Capacity (Capacity refers to the maximum number of ...)
Casing (Casing relates to a packaging material for ...)
Airplane (Airplane is described as mechanically driven ...)
List of books: Gearbox